Monday, June 20, 2016

Explanation


I promised to share with the world what went into my decision, after a very heated race for the position as Chair of the Nebraska Democratic Party, to withdraw from the race and endorse Jane Kleeb over Chuck Hassebrook. It wasn't an easy decision for me, and it was one that I made only minutes before the election was to take place.

The process that led to my decision was multi-faceted. Jane's implorations, appealing to party unity, were but a small part of it. The conversations I had with many others held more sway. The best opportunity to effect real change was paramount. I had enough votes to give Chuck the win. I didn't see that as being in the best interests of the Bernie Revolution.

I have fought tooth and nail, over the past ten years, to encourage changes within the NDP that would give a greater voice to Nebraska's Democrats. I have been in a self-imposed hiatus from active participation in the party for a variety of reasons. What brought me back in was Bernie Sanders. I saw that a bright light of hope was on the horizon and I was drawn to it as a moth to the flame. I realized there was an opportunity for my dreams of a populist NDP to be achieved. The legions leading this Revolution, mostly young people, reminded me of my generation, the one that saw our dreams crushed as Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King were murdered, as thousands of young lives were extinguished in the meat-grinder of the Vietnam war.

I can't explain why my generation, one that was idealistic, one that promised new ideas and ideals, let you down. The world we are leaving you is much more bleak than what we had hoped for. But there is promise. Things can change. It is up to you to be the architects of your future. We old people should do the right thing and stand aside. We will be gone soon enough; why should we be determining your future?

I need to touch on one facet, an important one, that of Frank LaMere. I would have had to go after Frank, just as I did to Jane, to ensure a victory. I consider Frank to be a friend. His character is beyond reproach. That, and he used to catch softball for my older brother, Dr. Ron Osborn. If I disrespected Frank, Ron would tie me into a pretzel!

With all that in mind, I saw that my candidacy was threatening to divide the effort to overturn the old ways of thinking and doing politics in our state. I believe Chuck Hassebrook is a good and honest man, but I just couldn't see him leading the charge to the ramparts. Our Revolution will be won by the participation of young people. We older folks should mentor, and guide, you to realize your own dreams. You should have a youthful leader, and it was apparent that many of you were willing to support Jane Kleeb in that role. I chose not to stand in your way.

Now I will be honest. I have had some issues with Jane. My support for her came at a price. There were several things that were paramount in my plans as your State Chair, fundamental things, that I still feel are essential to the well being of our party, and our people. Jane gave me her word that she would fight for these things just as hard as I would have. They are:

1. Get EVERYTHING the party does on-line. Total transparency.
2. Get our meetings teleconferenced so people don't have to spend so much to be a part of our democracy.
3. Actually obey our party's C&B, every word of it. Publicize every Platform plank and every Resolution passed by the SC, the SCC and the SEC. Put them all on-line where they are readily accessible. 
4. Put a blog, accessible to the public, with no censorship, back on the NDP website and ensure that the website includes useful, up-to-date information, including the contact info for committee members and Affiliated Caucus leadership.
5. Actually have that "full and complete" audit of the books that was voted on, and approved, so many years ago.

I'll give her two years, but I'll be reminding her, frequently, and very publicly, if she gets off track. My interpretation of her success, or failure, will be determined by the overall effect she has on the democratic process in this state. Whether that includes the fortunes of the NDP? I really don't care. It is more important what we do for the people than what we do for the party.

Now go out there and do good!

Brian Thomas Osborn

No comments:

Post a Comment